Thursday, September 6, 2012

Encouraging Independent Reading

My girls are not prone to sitting and reading on their own.  So, to encourage a bit more independent reading, I constructed an incentive chart:


Ok, so it's perhaps a bit bigger than your standard incentive chart, but I had these apple die-cuts from Dollar Tree and I just couldn't resist incorporating them into our schoolroom! If I wasn't so pressed for wall space, I'd have filled out the top of the tree some more, but as it is, I was cramped with our calendar space to the left and Angie's workfolders to the right.

So, each time they read  a book they get to write the name and author on an apple and hang it from the tree.  We're two days into the school year and already they've each hung two apples. I'm not even putting any constraints on what kinds of books count.   If you read it, you can hang an apple!

1 comment: